Busdriver likes to wear a T-shirt that reads, “Sorry, underground hip-hop happened 10 years ago.” Personally, I don’t like to take such a hard stance against new jacks and toys. But I will agree that Project Blowed, the weekly freestyle sessions in Leimert Park, represented a zenith in hip-hop expression.
Busdriver carries that spirit with him throughout his projects, whether it’s the Weather with electronic dandy Daedelus and zipper-rapper Radioinactive; or his upcoming Epitaph album RoadKillOvercoat, which is already garnering strong reviews. To promote the latter, he’s taking off for a cross-country jaunt. And just to show how crazy he is, he’s touring as an opening act for Deerhoof, the Bay Area-based experimental rock trio. Hopefully hip-hop heads will embrace the weirdness and give both acts a chance.
Here are the tour dates:
- 1/24: El Rey Theater, Los Angeles, CA
- 1/26: Irving Plaza, New York, NY
- 1/27: Metro, Chicago, IL
- 1/30: Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, CA
- 2/16: Jack Rabbits, Jacksonville, FL
- 2/17: The District, Miami, FL
- 2/18: Crowbar, Tampa, FL
- 2/19: The Social, Orlando, FL
- 2/20: Common Ground, Gainesville, FL
- 2/21: 40 Watt Club, Athens, GA
- 2/22: Mercy Lounge, Nashville, TN
- 2/23: The Warehouse, Winston-Salem, NC
w/Deerhoof, Harlem Shakes