Somehow, it completely escaped my attention that Peanut Butter Wolf recently produced his first full-length album in nearly 10 years.
For long-suffering Peanut Butter Wolf fans, this is big news. Since focusing his energies on turning Stones Throw into a classic hip-hop imprint, PB virtually stopped producing records for several years. Recently he has begun making tracks again, adding the odd beat to Stones Throw’s compilations. But who could have expected his first major return to production to be a project for…Chow Nasty?
Yes, the San Francisco funk party band’s Super (Electrical Recordings) is the first PB Wolf opus since 1998’s My Vinyl Weighs a Ton. It came out in July 2007 on Omega Records, and features a guest rap from Pep Love. It seems like dudes are well-connected, too. Their debut EP, Ungawa…The Party Stops Right F**king Now, featured remixes from Arabian Prince and XXXchange from Spank Rock.
Anyway, Chow Nasty will formally introduce themselves to incredulous hip-hop heads during a U.S. tour. Not to put much pressure on Chow Nasty, but they have a lot to live up to. The dates are below.
- 2/15: Knitting Factory, Los Angeles, CA
- 2/18: The Casbah, San Diego, CA
- 2/19: Plush, Tucson, AZ
- 2/21: The Attic, Santa Cruz, CA
- 2/22: Monterey Live, Monterey, CA
- 2/25: Jambalaya, Eureka, CA
- 2/26: Le Voyeur, Olympia, WA
- 2/27: Nectar Lounge, Seattle, WA
- 2/28: Holocene, Portland, OR
- 2/29: Boundary Bay, Bellingham, WA
- 3/01: The Astoria, Vancouver, BC
- 3/03: The BLVD, Spokane, WA
- 3/04: The Palace, Missoula, MT
- 3/06: The Aquarium, Fargo, ND
- 3/07: Triple Rock, Minneapolis, MN
- 3/08: Vaudeville Mews, Des Moines, IA
- 3/10: Replay Lounge, Lawrence, KS
- 3/26: The Map Room, Charleston, SC
- 3/28: Lenny’s Bar, Atlanta, GA
- 4/03: The Red and the Black, Washington, DC
- 4/08: Geno’s Rock Club, Portland, ME
- 4/19: PS Collective, Omaha, NE
- 4/23: Burt’s Tiki Lounge, Salt Lake City, UT
- 4/24: XOXO Bar, Reno, NV