Usually, when someone releases a mixtape it isn’t a big deal. But it has been over two years since Tanya Morgan released their debut album, Moonlighting, to rave reviews and backpacker fame. Since then, the Cincinnati-Brooklyn trio has spent more time updating their MySpace page and hyping themselves on Okayplayer.com’s chat boards than issuing fresh material.
So Tanya Morgan is a Rap Group, which the group posted on the Internet yesterday (March 18), is cause for celebration. Mixed by DJ Soul, it has a few of the tracks from their MySpace player (the popular “Waiting for You”) and new cuts produced by in-house beatmaker Von Pea along with Eric Lau and 88-Keys. It’s no Moonlighting sequel, but it will do. You can download the mixtape here.
To commemorate Tanya Morgan is a Rap Group, Tanya Morgan is undertaking a brief tour of the eastern seaboard, including appearances at the A3C Hip-Hop Festival and Signal Fest. The tour dates are below.
- 3/20: Shadow Lounge, Pittsburgh, PA
- 3/21: Turntable Club, Baltimore, MD
- 3/22: The Loft, Atlanta, GA
- 3/23: Dragons Den, New Orleans, LA
- 3/25: Gottrocks, Greenville, SC
- 3/26: The Graduate, Charlotte, NC
- 3/27: Gypsy Hut, Cincinnati, OH
- 3/30: TBA, Toronto, ON
- 4/03: Western Front, Boston, MA
- 4/05: Trinity College, Hartford, CT
- 4/06: Castaways, Ithaca, NY
- 4/09: Awful Arthur’s, Roanoke, VA
- 4/10: Knitting Factory, New York, NY
- 4/11: The Garage, Ashville, NC
- 4/12: Mansion 462, Chapel Hill, NC
- 4/13: The Soapbox, Wilmington, NC
- 4/18: The Note, Chicago, IL
- 4/22: University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE