I’ve been scratching my head over Mr. Lif’s forthcoming album I Heard It Today. It was apparently supposed to come out on January 20, the day of President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration, but has apparently been pushed back — to which month? I don’t know. Also, when Lif first announced the project in December, he planned to release several songs from the album as digital singles. Here’s how the press release described it:
Presented in a completely unprecedented manner, Mr. Lif will write and release 1-2 songs every three weeks until Election Day (November 4), following which Mr. Lif will release one more single based on his post electoral thoughts. This single will preface the release of the I Heard It Today (Bloodbot Tactical Enterprises) full length on Inauguration Day (January 20, 2009). The album will feature additional unreleased tracks and corresponding artwork.
So far, however, only three singles have been released: “I Heard It Today,” “Welcome To The World” and “The Sun.” He didn’t put out an election day single, which is too bad because I would have loved to hear his lyrical take on it. (He has, however, blogged about post-election issues on the Definitive Jux website.) And, as said before, it’s unknown when the entire project will drop. It’s all very confusing.
What is clear, however, is that Mr. Lif will definitely tour next year. Here are the initial dates; as usual, I will update the itinerary if it changes.
January 16 update: This tour has been rescheduled. I’ll post the new itinerary shortly.
January 28 update: Here are the new tour dates!
- 2/11: Ottobar, Baltimore, MD
- 2/12: Local 506, Chapel Hill, NC
- 2/13: Square One, Greensboro, NC
- 2/14: Village Tavern, Mount Pleasant, SC
- 2/16: The EARL, Atlanta, GA
- 2/17: Jack Rabbits, Jacksonville, FL
- 2/18: The Social, Orlando, FL
- 2/20: Club Downunder, Tallahassee, FL
- 2/23: Warehouse Live, Houston, TX
- 2/24: The Mohawk, Austin, TX
- 2/25: Palladium Ballroom, Dallas, TX
- 2/26: Sticky Fingerz Chicken Shack, Little Rock, AR
- 2/27: The Gargoyle, St. Louis, MO
- 2/28: The Maintenance Shop, Ames, IA
- 3/01: The Waiting Room, Omaha, NE
- 3/02: Triple Rock Social Club, Minneapolis, MN
- 3/04: Inferno, Madison, WI
- 3/05: Abbey Pub, Chicago, IL
- 3/06: Magic Stick, Detroit, MI
- 3/07: Skully’s Music Diner, Columbus, OH
- 3/08: Grog Shop, Cleveland, OH
- 4/17: Sugar Nightclub, Victoria, BC
- 4/18: Richard’s On Richards, Vancouver, BC
- 4/20: Neumo’s, Seattle, WA
- 4/24: Bottom Of The Hill, San Francisco, CA
- 5/01: Urban Lounge, Salt Lake City, UT
- 5/02: Marquis Theater, Denver, CO
Photo by Jason Messer.