- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- Warp loves labels posted on December 15, 2008
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
Tag Archives: Jazzy Jeff
"Jazzy" Jeff Townes is a rare example of an old-school giant who stays relevant. Never selling out to the Hot 97 formula of club mixing, he mentors young Philadelphia acts (think Musiq and Jill Scott) while staying true to the sonic activism of turntable hip-hop through sundry panel appearances and DJ gigs. He’s more than that weirdo who gets thrown out of Will Smith’s mansion on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."
Now Jazzy Jeff is finally issuing a follow-up to his acclaimed 2002 debut The Magnificent. The new album is tentatively scheduled for a February 2007 release and reportedly includes collaborations with Method Man, De La Soul and Little Brother.
Before that, Jazzy Jeff is dropping Hip-Hop Forever III, a sequel to his 2004 mix CD Hip-Hop Forever II on October 31. It finds Jeff flipping classic backpacker cuts, from Eric B. and Rakim’s "Eric B. is President" to Jay Dee’s "Fuck Tha Police."