- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- Warp loves labels posted on December 15, 2008
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
Tag Archives: 2Mex
99. 2Mex, B Boys in Occupied Mexico Mean Street Records Released October 9, 2001 Alex “2Mex” Ocana’s career dates back to the mid 90s, and sprawls over dozens of tour-only CD-Rs, side projects (including now-defunct supergroup the Visionaries) and poorly-distributed … Continue reading
2Mex (pictured right) is on the road again. This time, he’s not doing one of his stealth “house” tours, but playing small and mid-size clubs throughout the country. Now all we need is that Strange Famous album…maybe this year?
This video is seven minutes long…too long. But it has some impressive shots of the Los Alamitos Race Course, and hey, it’s 2Mex (with beats by Deeskee). Hopefully it’s a teaser for his forthcoming Strange Famous album. Directed by Ryan … Continue reading
Last night, 2Mex sent out a MySpace message announcing the end of Visionaries. This may not come as a surprise to those who haven’t followed the group in a while (like myself); its last album, We Are The Ones (We … Continue reading
Last month, 2Mex signed with Strange Famous, the independent label (and growing online store) run by iconoclast Sage Francis. One of the great L.A. rappers, 2Mex hasn’t released a nationally distributed solo project since Mean Street Records issued his 2004 … Continue reading
Two months ago, L.A. veteran 2Mex sent out a MySpace post announcing "We Book Our Own Tour," a DIY adventure across the United States. "In true D.I.Y. fashion, these artists are taking control of their own destinies," he wrote. " ‘We Book Our Own Tour’ is going to be a monumental 50-60 city tour completely booked by the artists. Be a part of this event and help make ghetto history for underground Hip-Hop."
Well, 2Mex is finally about to head out on the road. While the schedule isn’t as impressively long as 60 dates — although dates are still being added — it is a two-month journey that will course through towns big (New York City) and relatively small (Manzanita, Oregon). Joining him will be Life Rexall, 2Mex’s collaborator in last year’s $martyr project; Shapeshifters member Existereo; and DJ Pickster One.
As an underrated rap vocalist, 2Mex will bring the freestyle gospel throughout the tour/road trip. Normally a prolific artist, he doesn’t have any product on the market, since he’s working on a major label-distributed album for 2008. Curious heads are advised to purchase a copy of his 2001 underground classic, B Boys in Occupied Mexico.
The tour dates are below.