- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
- Why Plug One survives posted on March 17, 2010
Tag Archives: BBE
When we last heard from DJ Vadim, the Russo-British producer was struggling with eye cancer. Thankfully, he had a successful operation to remove the cancer, and then finished his latest album, U Can’t Lurn Imaginashun. The album drops via BBE … Continue reading
New York-bred, Atlanta-based rapper J-Live a.k.a. Justice Allah is long overdue for a critical appraisal. He’s didn’t draw as much attention as his late-90s peers, even though he was part of the golden age of indie hip-hop, too. He’s recorded … Continue reading
"Jazzy" Jeff Townes is a rare example of an old-school giant who stays relevant. Never selling out to the Hot 97 formula of club mixing, he mentors young Philadelphia acts (think Musiq and Jill Scott) while staying true to the sonic activism of turntable hip-hop through sundry panel appearances and DJ gigs. He’s more than that weirdo who gets thrown out of Will Smith’s mansion on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."
Now Jazzy Jeff is finally issuing a follow-up to his acclaimed 2002 debut The Magnificent. The new album is tentatively scheduled for a February 2007 release and reportedly includes collaborations with Method Man, De La Soul and Little Brother.
Before that, Jazzy Jeff is dropping Hip-Hop Forever III, a sequel to his 2004 mix CD Hip-Hop Forever II on October 31. It finds Jeff flipping classic backpacker cuts, from Eric B. and Rakim’s "Eric B. is President" to Jay Dee’s "Fuck Tha Police."