- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
- Why Plug One survives posted on March 17, 2010
Tag Archives: Papoose
Last Friday during his Hot 97 show "The Drama Hour," DJ Kayslay debuted "50 Shots," a hastily-recorded track by Papoose. The song instantly made its way around the Internet and drew commentary from several publications, including the New York Times, the Village Voice and Rolling Stone’s "Rock and Roll Daily" blog.
"50 Shots" speaks on the Nov. 25 incident where five undercover New York Police Department officers fired 50 shots at Sean Bell, Joseph Guzman and Trent Benefield as they drove from a strip club in Queens. While facts surrounding the case are under dispute, the three men, whom were part of Bell’s bachelor party, were unarmed. Bell died from gunshot wounds, while Guzman and Benefield remain hospitalized.
The shooting drew widespread protests and condemnation, with many calling the act an example of police brutality comparable to the 1999 Amadou Diallo shooting.