- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- Warp loves labels posted on December 15, 2008
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
Tag Archives: Knobody
It’s been a little over ten years since Del, Souls of Mischief, Casual and producer Domino launched Hiero Imperium. So this summer, the crew will celebrate with the Freshly Dipped Tour, a summer-long trek through North America. Oddly, at the … Continue reading
Hieroglyphics is a famously close-knit crew. Its members — Del the Funky Homosapien, Souls of Mischief and Casual — first united when they attended high school in the late 80s, and it’s been on ever since. Domino mentored them as they built their careers, and in 1997 they added Pep Love to the lineup. A decade later, the group remains unchanged.
Their record label, Hiero Imperium, has occasionally released albums by artists that aren’t Hiero crew. They released former Stones Throw homie Encore’s second album Layover in 2004; and Yay Area weirdo Z-Man’s Dope or Dog Food that same year. This year, however, will mark Hiero’s busiest year in regards to recruiting outside talent.
At the top of the list is Musab. Often credited as the man who helped build Rhymesayers (his 1996 debut album as Beyond, Comparison, was the first Rhymesayers album with national distribution), the Minneapolis veteran has evolved from a street-savvy backpacker to a game-spitting pimp. Literally. His third album, The Slicks Box, drops August 14.