- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
- Why Plug One survives posted on March 17, 2010
America's Most Blunted
Tag Archives: Blacksmith Records
Jean Grae brings “Jeanius”
It looks like the talented Jean Grae finally has a release date for Jeanius, her long-delayed album with producer 9th Wonder. It’s scheduled to hit stores on June 15. (May 28 update: The digital version was released to iTunes on … Continue reading
Posted in News Tagged 9th Wonder, ADA, Blacksmith Records, Jean Grae Leave a comment
2007 brings Kweli and Madlib’s “Liberation”
On New Year’s Eve, fan favorite Stones Throw closed an amazing 2006 by posting a free album in tandem with Talib Kweli’s Blacksmith Music Label.
The album, a collaboration between Kweli and mystery achiever Madlib, is called Liberation. Kweli has talked up the nine-track EP-length set on his MySpace page for months. As recently as December 5, he wrote, "So I know I know, I said Liberation will be out in November. I like to be a man of my word and believe me, I really tried! There are just politics with putting out a free album that I wasn’t ready for. Everyone has to be on the same page, and I got a lot of business on my plate right now." But all’s well that ends well.
Liberation, which can be downloaded for free here (with additional artwork) and here is, in Kweli’s words, "a straight ahead, sample driven hiphop record, from two of the best doing it." It marks his second underground release following the Blacksmith: The Movement mixtape in November. His new album, Eardrum, was scheduled for release last fall; it is now tentatively set for February. Meanwhile Madlib is working on a new Madvillain collabo with MF Doom.
Posted in News Tagged Blacksmith Records, Madlib, Stones Throw, Talib Kweli Leave a comment