- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- Warp loves labels posted on December 15, 2008
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
Tag Archives: Legal Hustle
As one of the brightest exponents of Queensbridge street poetry, Cormega has produced albums startingly memorable in their forthrightness and honesty. His 2001 debut, The Realness, is a certified classic; the 2002 follow-up, The True Meaning, is nearly as good.
Cormega was silent for the past few years until he dropped two new projects this year on his Legal Hustle imprint. The first was merely executive produced by him: Legal Hustle Presents Got Beats? was an instrumental showcase featuring tracks from the Alchemist, DJ Premier, Buckwild, Ayatollah and others. The second, Who Am I? is a DVD documentary that chronicles his life through camcorder-style footage and minimalist music videos. It also includes a "soundtrack," a compilation of new songs with guests such as Styles P, Keak da Sneak, Yukmouth, Tragedy, Hell Rell, Fame from M.O.P., Little Brother and Psycho Realm. A single from it, "Sleep Well" featuring Dwele, has been serviced to enterprising jocks.
Who Am I? drops tomorrow (November 20), but it’s hopefully just an appetizer to Cormega’s new album, which is scheduled for release sometime next year. Check out the track listing and a video trailer for the former below.