- VH1 Soul is dead, long live Centric posted on March 29, 2010
- The ten most popular indie-rap artists… posted on January 11, 2011
- Digable Planets fracture, cancel tour posted on March 22, 2009
- Superlists!: Top Ten Femcees posted on March 24, 2009
- The Plug One Q&A: Flying Lotus posted on June 10, 2008
- R.I.P. Paper Thin Walls posted on August 29, 2008
- Zion-I tour dates posted on February 25, 2009
- Review: Atmosphere, “To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy” posted on September 9, 2010
- Warp loves labels posted on December 15, 2008
- Vibe’s demise posted on July 1, 2009
Tag Archives: Cut Chemist
DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist are currently in the midst of a third — and final — leg for The Hard Sell. Yes, after over a year and dozens of cities in several countries, the Hard Sell tour seems to … Continue reading
The two acclaimed turntablists previewed their new project, "The Hard Sell," during a handful of shows last summer. "The Hard Sell" is the latest in a series of tag-team collaborations that date back to 1999, when the two paired for a legendary gig in San Francisco. The set, which appeared on a limited-edition CD under the title Brainfreeze, subsequently influenced a generation of rare groove DJs.
A CD/DVD version of The Hard Sell, which will document DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist’s performance at the Hollywood Bowl, is scheduled for early next year on their Pillage Road Show imprint. Before that, they’ll roam across the country for a series of concerts. Find out if your city is included on the itinerary below.
In a wide-ranging dialogue, influential turntablist Cut Chemist discusses The Hard Sell, the third and latest edition of his funk 45 concert series with DJ Shadow. He also talks about his upcoming projects, and notes the demise of his former group, the late great Jurassic 5. Continue reading
Former Jurassic 5 turntablist Cut Chemist continues to promote his excellent debut album, The Audience’s Listening. You can hear "The Audience’s Listening Theme Song" on a new iPod Nano commercial. The success of the clip — which is undoubtedly playing on your television set as you read this — fuels the momentum of "What’s the Altitude," the second single from the album. The single, a collaboration with Los Angeles MC Hymnal, includes dance-oriented remixes from She Wants Revenge and the Astronauts, and an Avalanches-like sampladelic adventure from UK producer Joe Buddha.
Meanwhile, Cut Chemist is taking to the road for a co-headlining tour with Lyrics Born. The man formerly known as Asia Born, whose music has also appeared in "commercial form" (courtesy of Coca-Cola) is about to release a live album, Overnite Encore: Lyrics Born Live! The Quannum Records release hits stores on October 31. Audiences will get a taste of what it sounds like when they see the chief party rocker in person.