Derek “Sadat X” Murphy is finally free. After spending several months in Riker’s Island on weapons charges, the veteran New York rapper beloved for his solo music and work with Brand Nubian is back on the streets, and is working on re-starting his career. “The God is back in town,” reads a message on his MySpace page.
There’s no word yet on when a new Sadat X project will appear. In the meantime, West Coast fans have a brief tour to look forward. Sadat will take along Coolzey, a rap-rock band, with him. For the rest of us, Traffic Entertainment is issuing a previously-unheard collection of recordings from Brand Nubian. Titled Time’s Runnin’ Out, it features songs recorded just prior to their acclaimed 1998 reunion, Foundation. It comes out today (August 21).
Tour dates are below. Check with venues and area resources prior to the concert, as many shows are still being confirmed.
- 8/22: Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom, Denver, CO
- 8/23: TBA, Colorado Springs, CO
- 8/24: Monks House of Jazz, Salt Lake City, UT
- 8/25: The Loft, Missoula, MT
- 8/26: Nectar’s, Seattle, WA
- 8/27: The Greek Cusina, Portland, OR
- 8/28: John Henry’s, Eugene, OR
- 8/29: Harlow’s, Sacramento, CA
- 8/30: Milk Bar, San Francisco, CA
- 8/31: Urban Underground, Los Angeles, CA
- 9/01: TBA, San Diego, CA
- 9/03: Hidden House, Phoenix, AZ
8/22-8/28: w/Jak Danielz, Johnny Walker